A Day at the Derby

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

I love theme parties.  Love, love, love them.  It sparks creativity, conversation and it's an opportunity to dress up and to play with my friends in a fresh and creative frame of mind.

Last month I was commissioned to create a "Kentucky Derby" fascinator for a client who was about  to attend a Derby-themed wedding.  She said she was "all about making a statement", so I was very excited to get working on her headpiece.  I love fearless, expressive clients!

Since this client lives in the South and I live in Massachusetts, we worked out all the details via email.  She sent me a picture of her dress along with some inspiration shots from the web to convey her color scheme, size proportions and general mood of her fascinator.  Matching the color of a two-toned dress in an online world is not easy, but we made it happen!

I emailed some PMS color swatches and some raw material images, and once we made final decisions, I went to work, using dozens of striped coque feathers, ostrich feathers, flower petals and dotted veiling.

My client manages a farmer's market, so I added a vintage brass bee ornament to the center of the headpiece as a special surprise.

The proof is in the pudding...here she is wearing her new Popko accessory at the wedding.

I love working with clients to make their dreams become a reality.  She looked stunning, and the best part is that she said she felt "awesome" wearing it...this is my favorite part about making custom orders!

0 comments:

Post a Comment